Monday, May 28, 2012

An Exercise in Futility

                                                     An Exercise in Futility
Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth on thee."
I have had so much feedback on the series I recently wrote on depression that, once again, I find it necessary to add to it.
To those who do not know Christ as their Lord and Savior, the remedies proclaimed in the four part series may become an exercise in futility. Why? Because, while claiming to keep their minds on the Lord, on the one hand, in actually they are attempting to resolve their issues without the guidance from the Lord. They, in fact, really do not trust the Lord God, but are trusting themselves while uttering lip service to God.
I have found many in this predicament making statements like, "I can't come to church, because I've got a live to live, things to do". Yet, all the while they are laying claim to "belief" in Christ.
The latter part of verse 3 states that the person actually trusts the Lord. It is the trust in the Lord that brings peace to the weary and frustrated mind.
Does this mean that God will not and cannot give them peace? According to the context of the verse--YES! Mere human endeavors alone ultimately prove to be an exercise in futility because our finite minds are only designed to handle a limited capacity. The human physic is ultimately designed to trust in God, who can handle, quite literally, any and all problems of stress.
The ultimate results of focusing on our problems is the heaping of more and more frustration, thus exasperating the futility.
To those who may be caught up in this vicious cycle--God is calling you to peace. Though He may allow you to suffer a while--yet He is waiting with open arms to receive, heal and deliver you.
Yes, I have even found Christians caught between this proverbial "rock and hard place" knowing they are saved, all the while trusting themselves instead of resting in the loving arms of their Savior. In the mean time suffering anxiety attacks caused by focusing of their problems instead of the Lord.
Matthew 11:28-30 "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart; and ye shall find rest in your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
Trusting in the Lord implies waiting for His directives, then acting upon them This is taught in Crossroads of Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment