Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Come Rest a While

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. I work in for the schools, you know the place where prayer is outlawed. everyday I encounter tired, weary, exhausted souls who can seemingly barely put one foot in front of the other. Most of the time I'm able to speak briefly to them, listen to their plights and offer a brief prayer. For the most part they all share a common malady--consumed with their occupation, unable to even utter a prayer for themselves, let alone attend a worship service. But they are grateful for the brief time I share the Word with them.
I also find dedicated workers in the Church who are like Martha in Luke 10:38-42, they are cumbered or so overloaded with work that they have very little time to sit at the feet of Jesus and get refreshed. Matthew 11:29 admonishes the weary to take time out and learn about Christ and promises that in so doing that weary soul will find rest. While the Matthew passage is primarily speaking of sinners and unbelievers being burdened with their load of sin, but it also speaks of simply having too much on our plates, to the point of exhaustion. This ought not to be so.
I just finished a series entitled Spiritual Mirages wherein I defined a mirage as having no substance, an illusion, it has only a human foundation. A mirage does not have to have a religious label, it may begin as a recreational sport which eventually becomes a mirage, though it may have some sound basics and ethics which teach good behavior, self control etc., yet because it is not founded on the Word of God, it is but an empty mirage.
The passage in Matthew not only admonishes to attend worship, but to also to be an ardent student of the Word.
Everyone who asks me how I am gets the same; I'm still blessed! As they give me a bewildered expression I explain that I experience the same woes as they and everyone else. I experience sickness, death, I have a mortgage, bills to pay, cars to repair, but through it all I'm still blessed as a Child of the King of kings, No matter what befalls me, I'm still blessed!
That gives me rest, even with the burdens life throws, I'm blessed and and I'm at peace!
I beckon you to come and sit at Jesus' feet and learn of Him and receive His rest He has for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment